Thursday, February 3, 2011

Rock On

Decisions. We make them all day long...always have. However, I've NEVER made so many decisions, on a minute by minute basis as I have since becoming a mom. How much should I feed him? Is he full? Is he warm enough? Is he too warm? Should I put him down for a nap? Am I letting him sleep too much? Why is he crying?
SERIOUSLY! All day long I'm asking myself these questions...the problem is there's no one to answer me! It's all up to me and that's scary sometimes. I frequently ask for opinions. I ask my mom, sister, grandmothers, friends...and they give me advice...sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't. All kids are different, i realize that...but wow, anxiety much?

The biggest issue I've had recently is Elliot's sleep issues. He does okay at night...usually waking up just once and then again pretty early around 5 or 6...but naps are a doozie. Since he's still so young we haven't yet instituted specific nap times. He wakes up and eats, is awake and "plays" for about 45- and hour and then he gets cranky and needs to sleep. This cycle happens over and over. When nap time comes he's a bear. Fights you tooth and nail not to go to sleep. I bounce and rock til he's out (and at over 13 lbs my back is beginning to hate me for that) and then finally lay him in his bed. He usually STAYS asleep for 30-45 minutes and then I hear him crying and THIS is the decision I've been struggling with the most lately: let him cry? or go get him and rock him back to sleep? My pediatrician says to let him cry...and I don't want to, but will once we're down to 2 naps a day. But 4 or 5? That's WAY too much crying for me to handle. I'm trying my best to keep him awake long as I can between naps right now...but if it's not time to eat and you aren't happy with me holding you, playing on your floor mat, or in your swing...and you're just going to fuss, it's time to go to sleep, right? Right now rocking him back to sleep is winning out, folks...but there's gotta be a better way! I spend most of my day in that rocking chair! HELP. ME.
Other than our sleep issues, he's a doll. Cute as can be, smiles at me, precious, wonderful and healthy...so for THOSE things I am extremely thankful!
I hope everyone has had a wonderful week...this rainy, cold weather is making me long for spring SO badly!
And now I must go...I hear my boy waking and I think the rocking chair is my next stop...

~Amy~
P.S. Couldn't finish a post without sharing a picture...
Oh how I love these boys!

4 comments:

  1. Girl I hear ya! You will start to figure out his cries. Pediatricians will always tell you to let him cry it out. But I continued to rock caden back down until I felt comfortable with letting him cry it out. (i'm not going to tell you how long it took me to get over that!) haha. But I think little elliot is too young to figure out that crying wont help, and to go back to sleep. Keep Rockin it though! you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With Savannah we had to desensitize. We started by letting her cry for 15 mins then added 5 mins every few days until we could handle however long she needed to go to sleep. It was really hard but after Julia, who HAD to be rocked we really didn't want to do that again. It was really terrible to have a 4 year old who couldn't sleep unless she was rocked. With Savannah I rocked on occasion just so we could be close but never to sleep. I always put her in her bed and let her learn to fall asleep on her own. Believe me it makes life easier for you and you are doing them a favor in the long run. Julia used to get so frustrated because she couldn't fall asleep on her own. No matter how tired she was. Any way that is my advice and my experience but essentially you will have to keep trying things until you find what works for you and YOUR baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I SO wish I had good advice for you. Rowan is becoming less and less of a sleepy baby and I'm about to have to decide what we're going to do at naptime too. With Rylie, you know, I rocked. By 14 months I was so rocked out that we sleep trained and did away w/ rocking forever (but now I wish she'd let me rock her a little). Just know that nothing you're doing is wrong. There is no wrong. It's just trial and error. You're doing a great job sis!~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear Lord! This is quite possibly the CUTEST picture ever! I love this! I sent you a FB message with a few ideas. I love you!

    ReplyDelete