Wednesday, March 2, 2011

March Madness


This morning I was doing a little Google Reader catch up...like I usually do when I have a few spare minutes with my coffee, and I ran across this post on a wonderful blog I follow. In case you don't feel like following the links, the post is about making some fitness goals for March, writing about them on your blog, updating on progress and sharing them with other bloggers that are taking the challenge as well. As soon as I read this I knew I had to take part. Two things I need to keep me on target with my fitness goals are accountability and motivation and I think this is a good way to handle both! So on Wednesdays, throughout the month of March, I'll be updating ya'll on my progress towards my goals. 

Because I'm just now getting back into working out since having Elliot, my goals may seem meager...but I'm still trying to figure out things like- how to work out in the living room while Elliot naps without waking him up. Me doing jumping jacks and plyometrics on hardwood floors isn't quite as quiet as I'd like =( I'll figure it out though...so here are my goals:

1- Do at least 3 workouts per week. These will most likely be The 30 Day Shred, Jillian's- Burn Fat, Boost Metabolism, one of my many Tae Bo dvds, a run if Matt gets home in time to watch Elliot for me.

2- 2 walks with Elliot (and probably April and her kiddos).  I don't care how few calories you might think just walking around the neighborhood burns...but you add a 15 lb baby in a Snugli and you've a little bit more of a challenge! Plus the weather's been great lately...and we enjoy it =)

3- Up my water intake drastically! No matter how much I think I can survive off coffee alone, I cannot. I'm going to be keeping my Brita water pitcher and my Tervis tumblers busy!

4- Make better food choices. With a husband thats 6'7" and slim and can eat anything...I can't just keep lettuce and whole grains in my house. SO, I'm going to have to eat the good stuff and leave the rest for the occassional treat. I used to use the 80/20 rule. Eat really healthfully 80% of the time and leave the more indulgent stuff for the other 20% of the time. The past few months i've been closer to 50/50...no good. 

5- Defeat my "all or nothing" attitude. If I can't make the workout really good and finish it completely I don't want to do it at all. If I'm going to a fast food place I just get whatever looks tastiest, not even trying to make a healthy choice...it IS fast food afterall. What's the point? That thinking gets you nowhere. ALL of the tiny good decisions I make WILL add up! I have to believe that!
So those are my goals. A year ago, keeping these goals would've been a piece of cake...but that's back when I was the boss and not him:

I've already gotten 1 of my 3 workouts in this week and 1 walk with Elliot, woo-hoo! Workout #2 is scheduled for this afternoon while my "boss" is napping =)
Have a great Wednesday everyone and if you want to join in on the March Madness please do right here!
~Amy~

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE your last goal!! I'm totally doing that one too. I so have that attitude and it has to change! Also, I'm up for another walk whenever you're ready sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in! Excellent and inspiring blog! Oh and btw...you have an adorable boss. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for setting a goal! :) Your baby is just adorable. LOL at the "boss" comment. ;) Thanks for the visit today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally with you in the all or nothing attitude - so I've adjusted my focus to just getting some regular exercise instead of training for some big event. Also ... thanks for the bean dip recipe, I will DEFINITELy try it! So glad you liked the baked pesto recipe, we're gonna have it again this week :-)

    ReplyDelete